Thursday, January 08, 2009

Cybils Love!

I got an email from fellow Portland YA author Laini Taylor saying, "Congratulations on making the Cybils shortlist!"

I um, huh, What?

I sped over to the Cybils site and sure enough, Ten Cents a Dance is one of seven finalists for the YA Fiction Award!

*dancing wildly around the room*

When I say that just being named a finalist is an honor, believe me, I'm not being squidgy. I've read some of these books and been blown away by them. To be included on the same list is...well, it's freakin' unbelievably fabulous, is what it is. Unreal in the best possible way.

Many thanks to the Cybils panelists who read through all the YA Fiction nominees (almost 140 books!) to choose these seven. Now, the judges will read and decide the winner. Announcement on February 14th. I'll let you know. Meanwhile, if you're looking for some great reads, check out the shortlists for all the categories. To celebrate, I went on a shopping spree at A Children's Place Bookstore (because hello, the best way to celebrate anything is to buy more books) and came home with The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Foundling by D.M. Cornish (not on a list but its sequel Lamplighter is), and Boy Toy by Barry Lyga, which won the 2007 Cybil for YA Fiction. Plus the other YA Fiction finalists I haven't already read.

A stack of new books. Cybils love. No better way to start a new year.

*still dancing*

9 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What awesome news!

Anonymous said...

Yea for Chris!!
Honored though you may be, I trust you are not surprised - in case you haven't notice, TCAD is "...well, it's freakin' unbelievably fabulous, is what it is"

*dancing with you* - great news!!

Laini Taylor said...

Well. . . I just read Ten Cents a Dance, and I loved it, and was unable to do anything (like write) until I finished it! Spent a lovely evening on the sofa reading away. Thank you for a wonderful book! I haven't read the other YA nominees yet, though I just put some on hold at the library, but I'm rooting for you!

Faith said...

Congratulations!
It is well deserved. I just finished Ten Cents a Dance last night. It is amazing! I absolutely loved everything about it. And I'm looking forward to your next book whenever and whatever it might be! (I just put a hold in at my library for your first book and I'm looking forward to that too).

Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Well, you certainly deserve it! You do such a great job of making a historical character real to a present-day reader.

BTW, taxi dancers got mentioned in Doonesbury the other day. Did you catch that?

I haven't read any of the other books on the short list yet. Heck, I'm 206 posts behind on my blog reading (well, 205 now since I read yours). I'm looking forward to some great stories. Maybe February will be less busy. Sigh.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Christine Fletcher said...

Thanks, everyone!

BTW, I'm halfway through The Hunger Games now and loving it...

Lisa Schroeder said...

I wanted you to know I just read TEN CENTS A DANCE and I loved it! I'm so glad you are getting some well-deserved recognition!!

Yay!!!

Christine Fletcher said...

Thanks, Lisa! I'm so glad you liked the book...that's like the best jazz music to my ears. :)

Seattle Home Theater said...

Thank you for ssharing this