Thursday, August 07, 2008

Worducopia Review & Interview!

Last month I spoke to Willamette Writers , Oregon's largest writers' organization, about writing young adult fiction. Afterward I had the pleasure of meeting several of the members, including Ali, who is currently working on her own novel. After Ali read (and reviewed!) both Tallulah Falls and Ten Cents a Dance for her blog, Worducopia, she asked if I'd be willing to do an interview. Ali had a singular knack for zeroing in on the issues I struggled most with while writing this book. Kudos to her for asking in-depth, thought-provoking questions...this was one of the best interviews I've had.

Thanks, Ali...you rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great interview. Anyone who is reading this comment who hasn't read the interview yet should go do that now.
I have talked to my mother, born in '27, about what discrimination was like back in the day, and I came away with the impression that 10 Cents DID soften the sharp corners.
There is a canyon outside of Moab, UT, named "Negro Bill Canyon" and we all suspected it wasn't always called that. My nephew asked, in all seriousness, "Are we allowed to say 'Negro'?" So there's hope for the future.