Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Question. A Contest. And It's Only The First Day!

OK, this is the thing. I was going to open this blog with a definiton of piccalilli.

Then I realized I could save everyone time and simply post a picture of myself with GEEK stenciled across my forehead. In red.

Which brings us to the question of the day, and possibly the theme for this entire blog: If you realize you’re being a geek, and you stop yourself in time, are you still a geek?

All comments welcome. Some possibly more welcome than others. Most welcome of all are those that reassure me that I am a hip, savvy individual. (I’ll warn the rest of you in advance that these people are either liars or they’ve never met me. At the very least, they’ve never seen the inside of my clothes closet).

If you want to know what piccalilli is, look it up. I will give a FABULOUS PRIZE to the first person who posts the correct definition.

Really? they ask.

Really, I say. I wouldn't lie to you about fabulosity.

6 comments:

Diane P said...

Ok it took my adult children to tell me that I am a geek. Maybe my students already knew since I love using technology so much. The real question is does that change who I am just because I have a new label? Am I going to change what I do? No I am quite happy with what I am doing and how I am doing, so I will just add that label on to all my ohters. I think you should just go with it. If you are confortable with you and you like what you are doing, so what about the label! Enjoy it.

Christine Fletcher said...

Not to worry, I really do embrace my inner (and outer) geek. Never been hip in my life; not likely to start now. I have a feeling it would make me itchy.

"The real question is does that change who I am just because I have a new label?" Great comment, Diane. And, coincidentally, very apropos to this site, as it's one of the issues I deal with in the novel. This question may get explored further, in a future post...

A copy of Tallulah Falls, BTW, is the fabulous prize milady insanity has won, with her spot-on definition of piccalilli. Congratulations!

Christine Fletcher said...

Ah, well. I suspected as much.

But the company is most excellent, it's true. Animal people tend to be as geeky as book people, and so no matter which of my worlds I'm in, I feel at home...

Anonymous said...

Geek? I hadn't noticed. We went to lunch downtown one time and you wore gloves and a leather(?) overcoat. The label that came to me was "elegant".

Christine Fletcher said...

Thanks, Walter! Although I should point out--lest your observation throw doubt on my geekiness--that both gloves and coat were inherited from my mother, a woman with excellent taste and an impeccable eye for clothing.

Plus, we were in Oregon. No offense, Stumptowners, but compared to the rest of the West Coast, the bar ain't exactly set high.

Diane P said...

One of my daughters was commenting on her sister's date-an engineer- as a geek with social skills.
She said he was like her dad and I had to agree, but my husband looked a little disturbed when I explained that. He said he wasn't a geek until I mentioned the "white notebooks" which contain information I can't even pronounce let alone read.